The FUTE project presents the following deliverables:
– A Needs Analysis focusing on the current teaching climate’s strong sides as well as on the areas that teachers and their students identify as ones needing improvement, innovation and change.
The needs analysis was presented in June 2018 and is based on interviews within 10 pilot schools that the project collaborates with in Denmark, UK, Finland, Belgium and France. Based on these interviews with teachers, pupils and teacher students, the conclusion is that we need to take a short list of key competencies, needs and requirements into consideration when adapting the 6C model and the method cards that go with the model.
Following is a list of important learnings from the needs analysis;
- A simplification of the method cards with less text, more graphic design and a relevant classification for teacher purposes is needed, and which makes it quick for the teachers to identify which method card is relevant for them to use.
- Creation of examples in the educationalfield so that it is easier for teachers to relate the method cards to their specific planning and teaching situation.
- Mediation andsupport are needed for the teachers to know how to work with the cards, and also for the school managers, so that the cards become an accept preparation and collaboration tool in the individual schools.
- Creating a roadmap or protocol to follow the model and the method cards, which guides the teachers through concrete co-creation processes with colleagues and/or pupils.
– FUTE Method Cards and FUTE Process Model
Based on the results from the needs analysis, the FUTE partners have developed a set of method cards that are especially designated to teachers, the teaching situation and collaboration among teachers and pupils.
The cards are divided into 5 overall groups:
For each group a number of cards are available that the teacher can use to co-create the teaching subject and content with either colleagues or / and pupils, or other stakeholders such as parents or enterprises who can participate to make the teaching more real and problem oriented.
The cards are supported by a process model illustrating the design thinking and design process in the teaching situation, and together with the cards, teachers are thoroughly introduced to how to use the cards and the model in their work as teachers.
The Method Cards and the Process Model are available in the 5 project languages of the FUTE partnership.
– FUTE Teacher Training Module
The FUTE partnership has developed a teacher training module to support the implementation of the FUTE method cards and FUTE process model.
The teacher training module is developed to give an overall introduction to teachers on how they can work with design thinking, design processes and design challenges in their teaching, in order to engage pupils more and plan a more engaging and problem-oriented teaching.
The material also gives concrete examples on how the cards and the process can be used in traditional teaching subjects like history, mathematics, natural science and social science.
The teacher training module that is available for the moment, is a first draft. Over the next 6 months – from august 2019 to January 2020, the material will be tested together with teachers in the 10 pilot schools that the FUTE partners are working with. By the end of the project the teacher training module will be updated with even more concrete and “real life” examples from teachers who have actually used the cards and the process model in the classroom and in their teaching. So keep an eye open for changes on this website.
The first draft of the Teacher Training Module is available here in the 5 languages of the project:
– A Recommendations and Sustainability Document that details the findings and experiences from the information gathering and development process of the FUTE project. This document will provide recommendations for implementing design methodology into primary/secondary teachers’ work. Furthermore, the list of recommendations will contain strategies for sustainable implementation of the project in schools throughout Europe.
– Dissemination Material to create awareness about the FUTE project and its findings, including activities such as conferences in the FUTE partners’ home countries and a conference in Brussels.